Thursday, May 19, 2011

Forgery

I made some modifications to my forge today... I really should remember better to take pictures. Anyway, I picked up a t-joint thing, so now the ashes and small coals can fall past the incoming airflow and out of the way, which is a good thing, since I realized that apparently some hot coals had fallen into the airtube and burned right through the thin metal (I'm just using like a dryer tube thing at the moment, one of those accordion style ones). Also I picked up an electric blower fan. It's a Stanley pivoting blower fan. I connected it up in place of the shop vac I was using before. That fire really gets hot now, so I'd say it seems to be a better blower, and compared to the price of actual blacksmithing blowers, it was a good deal. I'll post up a link of it from Amazon. I still would really like to get an anvil and especially a source of coal instead of the charcoal I'm using. The charcoal burns so fast that it's hard to get much done before it's gone. the bag only lasts maybe an hour if I'm careful, which is not a lot of time, combined with my inexperience and the inefficiency of using a piece of steel plate set on the concrete as an anvil.

http://www.amazon.com/Lasko-655702-Stanley-High-Velocity-BlowerFan/dp/B0001BJDUQ/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&s=home-garden&qid=1305855747&sr=8-1

No comments: