Monday, May 16, 2011

P.S.

Oh yeah, and I guess it would make sense for me to tell you that I forged my first piece of... forgery? today. I made a coal rake (technically I only have charcoal at the moment, but shhh). It's every bit as rudimentary and unprofessional looking as you would expect from a first attempt ever at forging, especially considering I don't have an anvil. I used the concrete slab we have in the back yard. Pretty classy, I know. It created a not unexpected side effect of that my rake has pieces of rock/concrete imbedded into the surface of the steel. Meh, I don't plan on trying to sell the piece as a work of art, I plan to use it to move my coals around in the forge.

-edit- Here are some pics

My forge. I'm thinking I'm gonna get some more bricks or something so
I can cover the sides better and give me some more room to hold the fuel. 
This is after we spread the coals to let it die, and then I remembered I wanted a picture
so I quickly had to build it back up a little bit again.

The next three are the rake I made. It's just a piece of round bar flatted a bit and bent at a 90. Very basic.




P.P.S. The white pieces of charcoal are hot, even if you only touch them for a second-and-a-half... and I'm an idiot. Just throwing that out there. Don't touch the white charcoal with you hands people!

No comments: